Apr 5, 2013

Child's Play - all audiences - Friday Flash Fiction


This week's prompt sounded very promising and I had half a dozen ways I could take it, but I chose to wait until I was actually ready to start writing, to decide where I would take it. I let "the flow" decide for me.
I hope you'll enjoy this short 'blurb'.

Welcome to my world!



Child’s play.


I didn’t have to think long about the title for this ‘work’.
It’s not always that easy though.
Sometimes I use a “working title”, sometimes I find a title that sounds ‘right’ before I even start to write, sometimes I end up keeping the working title; for lack of anything better.
What the hell am I talking about???
I bet you’re wondering about that.
Well, obviously – or not so – I’m talking about my writing.
It’s not always easy.

I like my title to give the reader a hint as to what they can expect from the story, but I also like to give it a twist if I can. I once wrote a story under the title “Presenting the bill” – which I intentionally misspelled – and proceeded to introduce Bill Buchanan – recurring role played by James Morrison on 24. It wasn’t revealed until right at the end, which is exactly what I wanted and intended. My readers loved it! So, my title worked! In more ways than one.
But like I said, it’s not always easy to find the right title.
Will it cover the load?
Will it hint to what might be coming without giving away too much?
Will it catch?

After all, a catchy title is always the best way to draw attention to your work. It should intrigue people, make them wonder what the underlying story might be about, make them curious about what is hidden within the pages, what adventure is mixed into the words. It should make them excited to find out how quickly you can take them from the front cover to the back, preferably in one swift swoop.
Isn’t that what we all want?
For people to pick up our book, or click on our link, and read our work in one sitting?
For people to want to find out what magic awaits behind the veil that is a title?
I know I do.
Always have, always will.
For as long as I’ve been writing, I’ve been trying to let people enjoy the magic of the word. I hope I’ll continue doing so for a very long time to come.

You’re probably wondering what this has to do with Child’s Play.
Basically, that’s what writing is to me.
It’s child’s play.
It’s a piece of cake.
I can sit down at my computer or pick up a notebook and a pen and just write. Fill the blank space with letters, words, paragraphs, chapters and make them all work together to tell a story. I can just do that. It’s that easy. I do not fear the blank page. I do not worry about minimum requirements – I usually go well over them. I do not hesitate to write, whatever is on my mind, whether that is good or not, whether that is fit for publishing or will forever remain private. The word does not throw me into a panic.
Right now, it’s 11.35 pm and I’m working on my entry for this week’s challenge.
Out of the blue.
Just like that.
Child’s play.

My mom would probably tell me to stop acting like a kid and get my act together, but what fun is there in that????


More entries to be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment