Apr 28, 2013

Reality of Real Estate - all audiences - Friday Fiction Challenge

I know I'm late, but I have a perfectly valid excuse this time.

It's my birthday today and since my son is visiting his old man (i.e. my ex) my mom decided to have my birthday party on Friday, so I didn't get to write.

As for this week's prompt, I was really not inspired as I know nothing about it: "Real Estate".
I slapped something together anyways and I hope you'll enjoy the read .... there's even a bit of a twist to it.

Have fun!!





Reality of real estate.


“Honey, I’m home!” she called from the door.

I looked up from my crossword puzzle and smiled a gentle smile at her boisterous appearance.
She was all energy, all joy and all mine.

“Hey, sweetheart.” I called back, waiting for her to join me at the table.
She did, leaning down to give me a kiss on the forehead as she always did.

“I have really good news.” she said, taking her seat and taking my hand.

“Oh?”

“I found the perfect job for you.”

“Really?” I asked, a little baffled, “I wasn’t even aware I was looking for one.”
I hadn’t been.
Not since the accident.

“Well, maybe you weren’t looking for one, but I found one anyways.”

“Do I need one?” I asked, suddenly worried we might not be coping as well as I figured we were.

“Not really, but wouldn’t you rather be doing something instead of sitting around the house all day, doing these puzzles?”

“Not really.” I replied, mimicking her.

“Last time I checked, you weren’t a lazy butt.” she said, a little accusingly.

“I’m not a lazy butt, I keep myself occupied in an intellectual way.”

“Yeah, right.” she chuckled, “And how long are you going to last, occupying yourself in an intellectual way?”

“As long as I’m stuck in this wheelchair.” I replied, feeling that instant gnawing inside as I thought back to what put me in it.

“That might be an awful long time, honey.” she replied, understanding my mood as quickly as it appeared.
She knew me all too well.
“I think you should keep busy in other ways. And you should definitely get out again.”

“I am getting out. I walk the dog twice every day.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“I know it wasn’t, but I see people when I go out, I’m not completely cut off. And I have you, my own private little sunshine.”

“Aren’t you curious?” she asked, steering away from where compliments the likes of those usually took us.

“No,” I sighed, “but tell me anyway.”

“Real estate.”

“What?”

“Real estate.” she repeated.

“Sweetheart, I know nothing about real estate.”

“Maybe not, but you could still call yourself an agent.” she replied, teasing.

“I prefer the sound of it when it’s preceded by the word ‘Federal’, not ‘Real Estate’.”

“You’re a pain in the ass.”

“I used to be much worse than that.”

“Well, look at it this way. All that experience should give you a clear advantage when trying to convince a buyer.”

I chuckled at her simplistic explanation and she leaned close for another kiss, a proper one this time.
Long and lingering, it threw my head in a spin and I felt my skin tingle in anticipation.
Wheelchair or not, I could still make my girl happy.

“I like the sound of it,” she whispered, “Jack Bauer, Real Estate Agent.”

I smiled against her lips, forgetting the horrible crash that had caused me to lose the use of my legs.
No more guns and terrorists for me, clipboards and notaries would do.



More entries can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment