Dec 26, 2012

Taking the plunge

I guess it may not be the most confident thing to say, but I seriously have no idea how to get started with this thing.

I've been writing for a very long time now, ever since I was in elementary even. Those were simply writing assignments, but I always enjoyed them. A lot!
Sometimes, we would get a few keywords and a minimum number of words, other times, we would get a paragraph to build up on. Either way, I always had a ball writing these stories. My teacher had a ball reading them too.
I'll never forget it.

One day, I talked to my mom about the fact my teacher would always put my assignment at the bottom of the stack and I wondered why she did. Next thing you know, my mom takes my hand and goes off to see my teacher, bluntly asking her about that.
This is what my teacher replied:

"I have 2 reasons for doing that. The first reason, is that your stories are always the longest, so I know it will take more time to read yours. The second reason, and that's the most important one, is that your stories are always the best. By keeping it for last, I have something to look forward to."

Imagine the boost of confidence those words gave this worried 12-year old!

I have since then written all kinds of things, both in Dutch (my mother tongue) and in English (which I started doing when '24' reached Belgian shores) and I've been posting my stories online for others to read.
I'm still writing, but people have moved on to other things, to other boards and I'm hoping to find another audience for my work by starting a blog with it.

If you're a 24 or Kiefer Sutherland fan, you may have come across me at 24addict.com and it's kick-ass forum Kieferland, or at Kiefer's Krew (but I haven't been there in ages), or you may have stumbled across my own forum, 24 FanFicHeaven which I started at lefora.com.

Kieferland is my "home" when it comes to posting my stories.
It's the first forum I dared to post on and I've had some really great feedback from readers there. Those also boosted my confidence and it allowed me to grow in my writing, to learn and experiment.

For starters, I'm going to post some of my Dutch stories and I will continue with some of my 24-fanfic. Eventually, the idea is to post original stories and see how people like them. Hopefully, I'll find the courage to take the next step and publish.
In print that is.

So, I hope you'll enjoy the read and if you do, feel free to invite your friends.


Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment